Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Race Against The Sun

What is the "Race Against The Sun?"
Earlier this month(May 2011), I decided to follow along with my friend Jeff K. and run with him on his own set course he calls "The Race Against The Sun." Beginning at Ala Moana State Beach Park it is a 15+ mile run straight through downtown Honolulu, up the Pali Hwy, then down the old Pali road to Kailua Beach Park. From Kailua Beach Park it is a 23+ mile paddle upwind to Makapu'u point, then around Hanauma Bay,then downwind to Black point, around Diamond Head point, then back to the Ala Wai Harbor Channel to end back up at Ala Moana Beach Park.

If all this sounds like a full day-it is. We will start at day break and hopefully I will be able to make it back just before sunset. I plan on running the course at a 7min/mi pace. Going up the hill over the Pali I am sure I will be slowing down some. The paddle will be the toughest part coming off the run it will be going against the wind which can be grinding! Eventually the wind will be at my back as I come around Hanauma Bay which I am sure will be a welcome relief. In true spirit for Waterman's journey I will be posting up videos of my training for both the run and the paddle portion of this "race." I have already been given good training advice From Jeff K. who has done this course before.

Goggle Map Overview of the Race:
Copy and paste into your browser to see Google Map overview of the race course:
Run portion: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-advanced-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm?sigupverifyemail=631b5d22842e4efaddd00397f98f161b&username=Watermansjourney#loginbox"
Paddle Portion: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-advanced-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm?sigupverifyemail=631b5d22842e4efaddd00397f98f161b&username=Watermansjourney#loginbox"

Why do this course?
This course is a good start to learn a few things about what I can do-not only on the water but where my endurance lies. I love a good challenge and challenges like these really help you to put yourself in perspective. It is always a good thing to know what you can do and gives you an idea of how to push yourself to a higher plane of performance. In doing this challenge I can also learn a few other things, like how to train better. It is not enough to just run run run and paddle paddle paddle-although I will not argue that time spent running and paddling will help to improve technique and performance to certain extent. Using a combination of distance runs (paddling/running), sprints, and certain days to focus on technique, I hope to improve not only my endurance speed but also my efficency in paddle strokes and running.

Running and paddling (and swimming) are good indicators of your overall cardiovascular capabilities. To me, they go hand in hand with your ability to push yourself into bigger surf and rougher water conditions. Regarding Ocean Safety-which is what I do for a living; this can mean the difference between making the rescue and getting your victim to shore or wallowing out in the surf and being unable to maintain your job performance. I love what I do and I really, really care about people, I would not want to put people in jeopardy because I only do the minimum. I want to train on and in the water to be the best I can be. As these posts progress, you will find me not only doing longer distance runs and paddles and swims, but also see me push into bigger surf and rougher water conditions. I will talk about training, equipment, conditions and where I stand by what I have done, what I can do, and where I can push myself to go. It is my hope that you also do this for yourself within a safety consientious perspective as well.

Here is the race from my viewpoint as a ocean safety consientious person:
My experience level:
I have limited experience paddling such long distances in open water.
I have limited experience paddling a "stock" prone paddleboard.
I have plenty experience running long distance (although not up to marathon distance) and I have had some training running cross country.
I have plenty experience running over trails as well in cross country.-I need to get back up to speed.
My abilities:
I have had plenty experience making mid distance paddles on a stock rescue boards over the years-so I have a basic idea of what to semi-expect (standby for videos!)
I know how to run decently to make the distance required to get to Kailua.
I am a quick learner and have access to a good stock paddleboard to train on (mahalos to my good friend Bianca S. for lending me a good stock paddleboard to learn on.
I have a good idea how to train to do long distance with help from my friend Jeff K.
I feel that I can do this and can make the effort and time needed to train for this.
My equipment:
I have a borrowed stock paddleboard on loan from my good friend Bianca S. to train on and run the race on. It is a 12' long prone paddleboard by C4 waterman and has been used in races before. It is in excellent shape and designed for distance paddling.
I planned to run in vibram five finger shoes but on the account of short time in which to get them i will just use a good pair of running shoes and jammers to run in. On my paddle I will invest in a good rashguard to stay comfortable and dry.
Most importantly, I will be using a good waterbottle/ camel back and plenty of cliff bars to stay hydrated and keep up my energy.
The Conditions:
The run will mostly take place on flat surface asphalt/cement, and once going down the Pali it will be a slippery trail with mud and wet rocks. The hill going over the Pali is gonna be a bummer to get up and over without fail I am sure. I will just have to spend some time practice running up hills in the Makiki area and running over flat ground in the Honolulu area.
The first half of the paddle will be in roughwater against the wind type conditions. The second half in downwind conditions. Being on the southshore of the island we generally have trade winds blowing from the northeast towards the south/southwest. I will have to spend plenty of time going both with and against the wind. I also need time and experience trying to catch the small bumps going downwind to help me along in improving my time and effeciency paddling.
Respecting The Enviornment
I will be running with Jeff K. during this race but as he is in excellent shape and has the experience running this course I will have a good challenge trying to keep up with him. The run portion follows along the Pali Hwy so keeping an eye out for traffic is a must and the wet trails at the top of the Pali on down I will have to keep an eye out for slippery conditions (it rains a lot in that area) On the water I will have someone following and checking me in from shore with a good pair of Binos at certain waypoints I will have designated by then. I also have to make sure that I can handle going against rough upwind conditions as they can put you out to sea if you can not power through them.
In short;
As You can see I have a lot on my plate, but I have a good idea what to expect and I have been talking to a few people with experience paddling and paddling in the areas that I will be going through. Check back to see where I am at in training. The race is going to be in mid- August 2011. I have a few months but in the words of Robert Frost, "The woods (the seas for me)are lovely, dark, and deep/But I have promises to keep/And miles to go before I sleep/And miles to go before I sleep."

1 comment:

Koz said...

Good explanation of what we're doing.Your biggest challenge will be to show up that morning well rested. Train hard but don't over train.