Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

RAS Update August 2011

     So I did a mini RAS, a little less than half the distance. The course was a 11 mi. Run from Ala Moana beach park to Moanalua Bay in Hawaii Kai. Then directly after I did a 11 mi. Paddle downwind from Moanalua Bay back to Ala Moana beach park. 22 miles of testing really helped me look for what to focus on.
     The answer simply is everything. The run itself almost murdered me. The paddle after was not too bad but because I was so tired from the run I didn't have enough energy to catch "bumps" or open ocean swells correctly to help push me along and make my paddle effecient. In all the run took 2:45min. and the paddle took me 3:12min. My own idea of the time I alloted for this was not too far off from what I predicted which put the run at 2:15-30min. and the paddle at 2: 30min.
      What does this all mean? Well, a co-worker did a good job at putting it in perspective. "You are trying to do too much. You are not ready. You're gonna end up hurting yourself going like this. You have to build your base up." By base she meant strength, endurance, and technique. "You should try and focus on strength training the next couple of months. Try paddling five days a week and weight training/isometrics about 2-3 times a week." As much as it hurt my pride to admit this she was correct, "You have to have a good base to start training from so you can focus on technique especially while learning to catch bumps. You have to get in shape." Again, she was right. The test not only proved her point but slapped me with it.
       As I stand I am in shape to lifeguard but not to go that extra step that I want to take. I could not repute the logic; I see people all the time who try to do more than they are physically capable of doing. They get hurt. I don't want to practice against what I preach to the public on an almost weekly basis.
        The next posts will focus on my training as I come to them. I will go over everything from my diet to my strength training to my technique and cardiovascular training. I hope you come along for the ride, life is good and for all of this training is not only to show all the time and energy it takes to go to the next level but to show perhaps that this is what life is for me; making yourself the best that you can be and enjoying all the steps along the way. Aloha and I hope to one day see you out there in the water. - Paul

1 comment:

Originalwatermen said...

Nice blog. Really Waterman's journey is very interesting but dangerous. Anyway, I go through your blog and like it very much. Thanks and waiting for more interesting posts....Waterman